Friday, October 12, 2012

A Blatant Display of Intolerance and Disrespect--and it Came from our Vice President

Last night, as I left parent teacher conferences, I was in a panic to get home and plop myself on the couch---I was an hour behind in the Vice Presidential debate.  (For political junkies like me, events like last night are our version of the Superbowl).

I reluctantly decided to listen to the debate on my car radio.  I was shocked at what I heard.  Biden was strong.  His answers were direct and authoritative.  He seemed to be commanding the debate.  I was worried.  Was Biden winning?

But then I got home and everything changed.

Image from Politico
Image from NBCnews.com

I turned on my TV and was quite frankly, shocked and disgusted by what I saw.  Joe Biden, the Vice President of the United States was treating his fellow colleague, a fellow leader  and "friend" with complete lack of respect and civility.  It was shocking.  The mocking tone he used was degrading.  His constant eye rolling, gasps, laughter and his "Cheshire-like" smile was quite frankly, insulting.  I could not believe that I was watching the Vice-President of the United States treat a fellow colleague with such disgust and contempt.

Wasn't it this Administration that promised to "change the tone?"  Promised to bring Americans together?  And promised to be a leader for all Americans not just the "blue" ones?

It sure didn't feel that way last night and to be honest, it hasn't felt like that for the last four years.



What I saw last night insulted me as an American.  My views may be different than the Vice President's, but it doesn't mean that my view point doesn't deserve to be respected.  It wasn't.  

I kept waiting for Ryan to look at the Vice President and say, "Mr. Biden, I know that you would like this to be a discussion between just the two of us here tonight, but it isn't.  This discussion tonight is about the differing ideology that millions of Americans hold sacred---and my viewpoints represents half of them.  Half of this country embraces these principles and you are insulting every single one of those Americans.  So you can laugh and roll your eyes at me, but keep in mind that you are actually treating half of this country with disrespect for the principles they hold dear."

Then I wish he would have said, "But Mr. Biden, Americans are just seeing for themselves why it has been virtually impossible to work with your Administration to pass any bipartisan-led legislation.  This is how your Administration has treated us from day one---with arrogance, mocking and complete lack of respect."

Image from USA today

But kudos to Paul Ryan for staying his genuine self, for keeping his composure while being mocked and for being, as CNN contributor David Gergen stated, presidential.

The outcome of this debate is still unknown, but nearly every poll released showed that Paul Ryan won the debate.  He did.

Will it matter?

Most analysts say no, but a few things became crystal clear and will resonate long after the debate clips stop airing:  In just 90 minutes, our Vice President typified everything that frustrates Americans about our government.  Joe Biden was the poster child for intolerance.  He was the epitome of disdain.  Joe Biden perfectly typified bitter partisanship and stubbornness.  And I would be willing to bet that most Americans didn't like what they saw.

That is the image that will last.  That is the bitter taste that will linger.  And like it or not, that is what will affect the undecided voter.

So the President can continue to praise his running mate for a strong performance and the Vice President can continue to flash his award winning smile, but the only base that was fired up last night was their own.

Yes, Joe Biden delivered some meat, but it was pretty clear it was covered in blue.

And with 25 days until election, that is not the kind of meat that wins elections.  That kind of meat insulted.  That kind of meat offended and that kind of meat came across a little desperate.

I firmly believe that all Americans deserve better than what this Administration has offered--on every front.

Go Mitt.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...